Gary Mialocq

Gary Mialocq

The gentleman pictured below is Jean Jacques Mialocq (1859-1917), my grandfather.
He is the primary reason for this blog and I thank him for the opportunity to find my roots.

Jean Jacques Mialocq

Jean Jacques Mialocq
(1859-1917)

Sainte Suzanne, Aquitaine, France

Sainte Suzanne, Aquitaine, France

Stop the Music!

To stop the music, simply scroll to the very bottom. Merci!

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Who Am I?

I was born in 1942 in San Francisco during World War II.  My father, known affectionately to everyone as "Frenchy", had never known his own father who had died when my dad was only three (3) as a result of a fall from a ladder that led to peritonitis progressingo into his lungs, and was eventually fatal.  All I ever knew about Grandpa Jean was that he was 6'4" way back when (a giant of a man), who was an excellent dancer and hailed from the south of France. I knew nothing more about him.

Then a few months back I received an email from Jean-Claude Mialocq of Jurancon, France, who indicated that we may be related and asked if I would be interested in exploring this.  I said I would and started my search, joining Ancestry.com.  Jean-Claude and I exchange pictures and family information and he impressed me as a very nice man who spoke very good English and who was genuinely interested in finding out what happened to the Mialocq who had left for America.  Jean-Claude, like me, wondered if he had relatives in America from our branch of the family.  And were we related at all?

Jean-Claude Mialocq, Jurancon, Aquitaine, France

Then it happened.  One night I watched the new show, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE.  It featured Brooke Shields and her search for her own roots.  At the beginning of the show the narrator said.


"You don't know who you are until you know where you came from."  

That message struck my heart like cold steel.  It was true and my quest began.  This will change my life forever.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Genealogy : Build Your Online Family Tree, Share Your Family History, Improve Your Genealogy Research And Learn More About Your Ancestors